Crunchy Quinoa Salad
This recipe is from Janet Jacks’ wonderful New book called Discover The Power of Food: The 10 Week Plan to Transform Your Life. She is the founder of Goodness Me! which everyone around here knows and loves, and has changed so many people’s lives. I just love this salad for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It’s gluten free, vegan and low glycemic. It serves 6-8. I’ve made a few minor adjustments with options.
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli florets
- ½ cup finely chopped red pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ½ cup zucchini finely chopped (optional)
- ½ cup finely chopped green onion
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup hemp hearts (optional)
- ¼ cup toasted, slivered almonds (optional)
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped parsley (or cilantro – optional)
- ¼ cup arame - optional
1. Place quinoa in a saucepan over medium heat. When quinoa is warm, after about 1-2 minutes, add water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and let simmer 20 minutes. (You will see a little ring around each grain.) Turn off burner and let quinoa cool.
2. Break up the arame into small pieces. Place in a small bowl and cover with water. Let the arame sit while you prepare the salad.
3. Place all the salad ingredients, including the cooled quinoa, in a large bowl. Drain the arame and add it to the salad. Stir to combine. Stir in the dressing.
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp wheat-free Tamari (or Braggs amino acids)
- 1Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
Mix dressing ingredients together in a jar and pour over salad. Enjoy!